The Barossa Valley has a heritage as rich as the deep brooding shiraz wines for which the region is famous. German and English settlers have lived here since the 1840’s and through good times and bad, a sense of community has evolved, which lives on today.
In 1944, a War Memorial Committee was established in Nuriootpa to create new facilities in the expending community: a swimming pool, kindergarten, library, youth club and ultimately accommodation for the Barossa’s elderly.
Stage One saw a number of independent living units built in Nuriootpa from 1962 onwards and in 1970 a nursing home was opened at a cost of $120,000.
Additions during the 1970s, 1980s and 1990s expanded the nursing home until a strategic decision was made to build a new complex, The Residency, which was opened in 2005.
Barossa Village now has more than 160 independent living units, provides home care services to over 80 clients living in their own homes, and The Residency accommodates up to 80 full time and respite clients, with construction of an additional 20 rooms to be completed by late 2015.